In our world of moral relativism – – -at a time when so many are unwilling to stand for the Truth – – 1 Timothy is a wonderful call for pastor and local churches to be protectors and supporters of the Gospel of the Living God (1 Timothy 3:14-16).
Sunday (if my voice comes back from a cold) I am excited to begin a series on 1 Timothy. I am never more comfortable in preaching than when working through a book and 1 Timothy is one of my favorites.
There are many reasons to be stoked about 1 Timothy. Hendriksen outlines the following reasons for studying the Pastoral Epistles (1, 2 Timothy and Titus):
- Because they shed much needed light on the important problem of church-administration.
- Because they stress sound doctrine.
- Because they demand consecrated living.
- Because they answer the question, “Are creeds of any value?”
- Because they tell us about the closing activities in the life of the great apostle Paul.
- Because they are a valuable source for the understanding of the history of the church in the third quarter of the first century A.D.
- Because in these epistles as well as in the others God speaks to us.